- Ramsey School District
- District Homepage
Ramsey Schools Closed starting Monday, March 16, 2020
March 12, 2020
Tonight the County Executive has closed all public Bergen County Schools. However, I want to assure the Ramsey community, we have not had a confirmed case of COVID-19.
The District closure will begin on Monday, March 16, 2020. The District closure includes all after-school activities and events.
The schedule for the week of March 16 will be as follows:
- Monday, March 16 - Teacher In-service Day (No student instruction)
- Tuesday, March 17 - **Home Instruction begins for all students**
- Wednesday, March 18 - Home Instruction
- Thursday, March 19 - Home Instruction
- Friday, March 20 - Home Instruction
Up until this point, we have made the decision not to close school for a preparation day in order to not disrupt the continuity of learning. This has allowed us to designate the first day of the extended closure as an in-service day to afford teachers the opportunity to prepare for remote instruction. By having this day immediately preceding the extended closure, our teachers will have the best opportunity to design instruction that is relevant and timely for their classes.
We will assess the situation throughout the week as we receive more information about the length of the closure and communicate the plan for the second week should the extended closure last into the week of March 23.
Please refer to the letter sent out today from the building principals to find details on the instructional plan at each school. Parents and guardians can expect further information regarding the home instructional plan from their respective principals and teachers in the near future.
I have no doubt that these times are causing feelings of uncertainty, anxiousness, and apprehension. To help our students, staff, and community while the District is closed, I will have counselors available for everyone. Stay tuned for more details. Please refer to my previous email for other tips and strategies.
During this time, we will do a thorough cleaning of our schools.
Very simple, everyday actions can help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses like traditional influenza and Coronavirus. These include:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- If soap and water are not available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
I encourage students to stay home during this prolonged closure. This is an extremely fluid situation, with developing information coming out every day.
I thank you in advance for your flexibility, patience, and understanding.
Matthew J. Murphy, Ed. D.
Superintendent of Schools
Ramsey Public Schools