A Substitute Teacher is ...
a professional educator who is responsible for operating a safe, orderly, and positive classroom environment while the regular teacher is absent. The substitute teacher must effectively manage the classroom and provide instruction for students, strictly following the regular teacher's lesson plans and adhering to all district and school policies and procedures.
- Provide meaningful instruction to students in assigned classrooms while regular teacher is absent
- Review and implement regular teacher's routines, procedures, lesson plans, curriculum objectives, classroom management, and instructional strategies
- Maintain a working knowledge of and adhere to all Board of Education, and school district policies and procedures
- Establish and maintain a safe and orderly classroom environment; take all reasonable precautions to protect students, facilities, and materials
- Communicate clearly and effectively to students, faculty, and staff
- Report all student injuries, accidents, illnesses, and serious discipline problems to school administration as soon as possible
- Demonstrate cooperation and flexibility in performing other related duties as assigned by school administration.
Substitute License Information
If you would like to obtain a Bergen County Substitute License, we can help you.
Directions to obtain a Bergen County Substitute License:
- Click the link to have your criminal history background check performed. http://www.nj.gov/education/educators/crimhist
- Have your official transcripts from your college or university sent to: Ramsey Board of Education Office ~ 266 E. Main St. ~ Ramsey, NJ 07446 ~ Attention: Pam Carloni
- Fill out the SUBSTITUTE CREDENTIAL APPLICATION
- Fill out the OATH OF ALLEGIANCE (which must be notarized)
- Obtain a certified check or money order for $125.00 made payable to "Commissioner of Education"
Upon completion of all the steps outlined above, bring your paperwork and check to the Board Office for processing.
AESOP InformationWhen all necessary paperwork has been completed after you are hired by the Ramsey School District, you will be activated in the AESOP system. You can then begin to accept substitute jobs.NJ First ActP.L. 201 1, c. 70 (N.J.S.A. 52:14-7) - "New Jersey First Act" Effective September 1, 2011, all employees of school districts must reside in the State of New Jersey, unless exempted under law. If you already work for the school district as of September 1, 2011, and you do not live in New Jersey, you are not required to move to New Jersey. However, if you begin your office, position or employment on September 1, 2011 or later, you must reside in New Jersey. If you do not reside in New Jersey, you have one year after the date you take your office, position or employment to relocate your residence to New Jersey. If you do not do so, you are subject to removal from your office, position or employment.
- If you have not been fingerprinted or do not have a Teaching Certificate the district will assist you in having a criminal history check done and provide you with the paperwork to obtain your substitute license.
- If you have been fingerprinted for another job title such as teacher or aide you must archive your fingerprints.
- If you have been fingerprinted as a substitute you may transfer your criminal history to Ramse School District.